Healthcare Data Mining requires that you have computer access to certain VA systems and databases. It is imperative that you start this process early so that you are guaranteed that software and access is available by the start of the course.
Click the following link to view a flowchart of the needed system and database systems you need access to and how to test: HACP Course 3 Database Access Check.
For STEP 1 in the flowchart, confirm that you have ProClarity software installed. If you do not, following these directions:
Instruction Set A: Installing ProClarity Software
Contact your local IT support and request access that they install the ProClarity software on your desktop.
For STEP 2 in the flowchart, the following link is the Briefing Book file for you to attempt to open with ProClarity while behind the VA firewall or on a VA computer to see if you already have access to VSSC: Course 3 VSSC Test File.
If you are not able to see data views in the STEP 2 test, you need to request access to VSSC. Following these directions:
Instruction Set B: Request VSSC Access
- Download this file: VSSC request form (VA form 9957)
Note: key information is already pre-filled out in this form such as “Type of Access à NSSD, PHI level access to VSSC web data and PHI level access to DSS web data”
- In Section 2 (Customer information), enter your information in Box A, D, F, J, and K.
- In Section 4 (Signatures), for Box A, type your name and title. Include your signature. Date your signature in Box B. For Box C, enter in your director’s name and title. They are to sign. The date of their signature goes in Box D. You are strongly encouraged to WALK YOUR REQUEST versus using office mail. If needed, attached is a routing and transmittal form explaining why you need access.
- Submit the VSSC request form to your facility’s designated CUPS/National Data Systems Point of Contact (POC). Your local CUPS POC can make a new or edit an existing entry in the NSSD. Click here to find your local CUPS/National Data Systems POCs. You need to be behind the VA firewall to access the link. You are strongly encouraged to WALK YOUR REQUEST versus using office mail.
- Any questions regarding access to VSSC/DSS web products can be submitted here: https://help.vssc.med.va.gov/ (select the Data Access Program area). You need to be behind the VA firewall to access the link.
- Your CUP POC should notify you when you have access.
- You can test and/or verify your access by opening the VSSC test file
For STEP 3 in the flowchart, the following link is the Briefing Book file for you to attempt to open while behind the VA firewall or on a VA computer to see if you already have access to ARC: Course 3 ARC Test File.
If you are not able to see data views in the STEP 3 test, you need to request access to the ARC. Following these directions:
Instruction Set C: Request ARC Access
- Download and print the Request Form.
- Complete all blanks on the form and manually sign the “COMPUTER ACCESS AGREEMENT”
- Have the form signed by the Director (no designees). You are strongly encouraged to WALK YOUR REQUEST versus using office mail. If need, attached is a routing and transmittal form explaining why you need access
- Fax the completed for to the ARC ISO at 781-849-0306
- For assistance Contact the ARC Customer Service Help Desk.
- You can test and/or verify access by opening the ARC test file