For freshman, the first few weeks of college are often a combination of fun and stress. You are living on your own for the first time, meeting new people and — most importantly — learning a lot of new things to set you on the path toward your career. Any one of those things can be either exciting or overwhelming, depending on your point of view.
It is important to get off to a good start and settle into your new life as a college student in the first weeks. Here are a few pointers to help you start off strong:
- Go to class. You have probably heard this a hundred times by now, but this is the single most important thing you can do at college. It’s why here are here. One college class is filled with a lot more information than your average high school class, so attending each one is important.
- Make a schedule and don’t procrastinate. Keep a planner of when you have class and when your assignments are due. Also, don’t wait until the last minute to study or finish an assignment.
- Meet new people. College is a chance for you to make new friends who share your passion. Your new friends will also become your support group when things get stressful. Seek out social activities or student organizations on campus where you can get to know your fellow students.
- Stick around on the weekends. The first weekends of the school year are a great time to connect with your new friends outside of the classroom.
- Explore your surroundings. If you are new to Omaha, go see a movie, watch a concert or go walk around downtown and get acclimated to the area.
- Take care of yourself. Eat healthy and exercise to avoid the “freshman 15.” If you’re looking for a place to work out, try Nebraska Methodist College’s fitness center. Also, make sure you’re getting enough sleep.
- Have fun! College is a great experience on many levels. Enjoy it and make the most of your opportunities.
Everything is Changing
If there is one thing we’ve learned in our 121-year history as a college, it would be that change is a constant.
In much the same way that we no longer type on typewriters, listen to our music on cassette tapes or in many cases get the latest news from a printed page, the field of health care today is much different than it was in past decades.
From treatments, to medicine, to technology, the health care industry continues to advance, and those advances are reflected in the education we provide to today’s generation of health care professionals.
With that in mind, welcome to the Nebraska Methodist College Blog! This blog is meant to be a resource for you on the latest news and trends in healthcare and healthcare education. Whether you are a current or prospective student, a graduate or healthcare professional, we hope to provide you with useful knowledge and insight that can help you wherever you happen to be on your healthcare career path. We’ll also give you an inside look at NMC and our approach to healthcare education.
Let's Hear From You
We also want to hear your feedback. Tell us what you think about the latest health care news and trends; ask us questions on subjects you’d like to learn more about; and feel free to suggest blog topics for future posts.
At NMC, we want to prepare you for what’s next in your career, and we hope this blog can be a useful resource in that process.